Lake Tanganyika Species • Julies with Calvus

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Julies with Calvus

Postby Dox057 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:02 am

Hey everyone, quick question for you all.

I have 6 Julidochromis Dickfeldi midnight morphs that I have been trying to spawn for ages they are currently housed in a 75 with a school of Cyp micro karalani. I just acquired a colony of Tropheus duboisi and put them in my 125 and rehomed the fish that were in there. In doing so I moved 4 yellow calvus into the tank with the Julies and cyps.

My question is, should the Julidochromis spawn, do fry stand a chance with calvus in the tank or are they as good as lunch? With my other tanks being a 125 with trophs, a 75 with juvenile peacocks and Haps and a 20 long with shellies there really is no other suitable place for them to be. They are thriving in this new tank and everyone is doing great, I just fear for any fry. =}
Dox057

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Julies with Calvus

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:30 am

You are likely to lose some fry, but the parents are pretty good at defending, and if you have two distinct territories, at opposite ends of the tank, you will lose less.

If they are tank raised, you will lose less, than if they are wild.
Fogelhund

Postby awanderingmoose » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:17 pm

Julies, although not particularly "aggressive" in the normal sense, are quite capable of protecting their young. Mine have no problems fending off the calvus I keep them with. That combination, julies, calvus, cyps, is one of my favorite for a 75.
Why in the world are we here? Surely not to live in pain and fear!
awanderingmoose

Postby Dox057 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks guys, glad to hear it's worked out for you in the past. I DO love this tank right now with the three of them. I was just worried with the rarity of these particular julies and how long I've been trying to get them to spawn that I may have hindered the process even more. =}

I truly appreciate the replies.
Dox057

Postby Mustela » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Solid advice, so let me add to it. The more cover (e.g., rocks) the fry have, the better their odds. I have a 75g Tang community tank with Julies, calvus, and several other species, including a breeding pair of T. temporalis, which are like rabbits. The tank is full of stacked rocks and shells. A large percentage of fry from each temporalis brood survive regularly.
Mustela

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species