Central American Cichlids • Help With 40g Breeder Stocking

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Help With 40g Breeder Stocking

Postby FireHorn123 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi I would love some suggestions for an awesome 40g tank. I want a breeding pair of firemouth in it . I'd like to know some fish that can be good tankmates for them(if it's possible according to tank size I'd like to keep it cichlids only) Any suggestions? Also what are some good plants that are compatible with gravel that the firemouth s won't dig up? Thanks a million
FireHorn123

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Help With 40g Breeder Stocking

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:05 am

I'd keep the tank as the pair and add dither/target fish only. Perhaps a bristlenosed pleco. A 3' tank is extremely limiting.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby FireHorn123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:02 am

Iggy Newcastle wrote:I'd keep the tank as the pair and add dither/target fish only. Perhaps a bristlenosed pleco. A 3' tank is extremely limiting.

So there are no cichlids compatible with this setup? And what about plants?
FireHorn123

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 pm

This is what I'm thinking of for your size tank. It includes plants and dithers(swordtails).

Iggy Newcastle

Postby AguaManic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 am

I'd personally swap the meeki out for the better looking aureus. But that's just me. Firemouths are cool fish too and more readily available I suppose.

Depending on how well scaped/ planted the tank is, you can get away with a pair of HRPs or angel fish in the same tank. There are a whole host of livebearers that would do great in the tank as well as your usual tetras and barbs.

I'd look at ordering some fish from this guy, <vendor name removed>. Even his Odessa Barb line is absolute killer and would go great with a thorichthys pair, IMO.

His has been linebred to develop a much deeper/vibrant red than what you will typically find from other places.
AguaManic

Return to Central American Cichlids