DIY - Projects & Ideas • New 240g project

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: snorkel3, Kanorin

Re: New 240g project

Postby Steve C » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Been taking a break for the past week from it. Not by choice though. Was moving a 20g tank last week and didn't see an edge chip that was on it. As I sat it down I somewhat let it slide through my hands and the chip sliced my hand open pretty badly. Took a few hours to get it to stop bleeding. Defiantly could have used some stitches but with my self employed business I'm still without insurance coverage for stuff like this so I just taped it up and let time heal it. Seems to be much better the past couple days though so should be able to get back to working on this again sometime this week.
75g African/hap
75g Bleekeri
75g Jaguar
20g tall angelfish
Koi pond
Steve C

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Steve C » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:11 am

After cutting my hand about a month ago I had to take a break from working on this project while it healed. The hand has been back to pretty much good as new now for about the past 2 weeks but during that downtime for some reason I just kind of lost a bit of the enthusiasm for working on this. I think stepping away from it plus this timne of year with spring just around the corner and rod orders starting to flood in I've been thinking more of fishing trips & outdoors than working on this.

The good news is since I started back on three other customer backgrounds about a week ago that finally rejuvenated my desire to get back onto this big tank again. So last night after stopping work on customer backgrounds for the night I pulled the background out of my tank and spent a while sealing it with Pond Shield Pond Armor. Later tonight I will be mounting it permanently into the tank now.

All sealed with Pond Shield and ready to install
75g African/hap
75g Bleekeri
75g Jaguar
20g tall angelfish
Koi pond
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Background is now all permanently siliconed into place and drying. Also got some large all plastic bolts and mounting the stalactites.
75g African/hap
75g Bleekeri
75g Jaguar
20g tall angelfish
Koi pond
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Been busy the past few days bouncing between customer backgrounds, rod orders, and trying to fit in some progress on my own 240g project. Here is where it is at today. Buffed the front panel for a 3rd time, background & stalactites all sealed and installed for good now, mounted various silk plants for some greenery, cave lighting all set up and substrate is in. Probably be all the work for a while as I have rods and other backgrounds to finish but I hope to be back on it again in a couple weeks. Satisfied with the progress for now.
75g African/hap
75g Bleekeri
75g Jaguar
20g tall angelfish
Koi pond
Steve C

Postby wryan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:42 am

Sorry to hear about your injury ... it seems you are recovered/healed up and once again making good progress ... background looks great !

:thumb:
wryan

Postby Steve C » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Had a stroke of genius tonight :) spent a bit of time trying to figure out how to best hide the 300w Jaguar heaters and was getting frustrated that I was not going to be able to hide them very well because of the length when I sat down at it hit me. The Stalagmite makes the perfect place to mount it to the backside of so it will be completely out of view, plus being right in front of the intake and return it will distribute the heat more evenly.

75g African/hap
75g Bleekeri
75g Jaguar
20g tall angelfish
Koi pond
Steve C

Postby snorkel3 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:32 pm

Thanks for all the updates, another fantastic background and nice job on hiding the heater!
snorkel3

Postby Steve C » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks Dee. Well I said it was gonna be a couple weeks till I was back at it but I just can't stay away from it. Trying to work a few minutes here & there on it between "real work" stuff. Managed to get the 2nd of the two 300w heaters ready today. Mounted it rigidly to the backside of a half round piece of sinking wood so it is hidden completely from view. Also bought some cheap impact resistant lexan and made some nice tight fitting covers for the top so I wouldn't have to deal with evaporation.

75g African/hap
75g Bleekeri
75g Jaguar
20g tall angelfish
Koi pond
Steve C

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:33 pm

The ultimate man cave has become even more amazing!

The amount of work you've put in already is truly crazy. New background looks fantastic and I'd say your best so far. The darker paint job sets it off.

No super glue on hand Steve? Works awesome on cuts that should get stitches.

Whenever I get into fly fishing I'm hitting you up for a rod...

Looking forward to the end result of this project
Iggy Newcastle

Postby xgtphalex » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:10 am

Why not a sump to hide the heaters.
xgtphalex

Postby Steve C » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:34 am

I'm very OCD and the sound of water trickling over an overflow drives me nuts. Drilled tanks stop the noise issue but then you still have all the stuff directly under the main tank for sump set ups and in this build I have another display tank that will be under this tank in the center of the stand, so a sump would be in the way of that too. I've always liked a pair of quality canisters on tanks up to 300g for my own tastes for numerous reason. Sumps are great, but I'm more of a canister guy myself.
75g African/hap
75g Bleekeri
75g Jaguar
20g tall angelfish
Koi pond
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:03 am

I still have to do all the finish work on the stand and build the canopy yet, plus finish the 20g x-tall tank with the sandfall that goes in the center of the stand under this tank. So still lots to be done, but as of last night it's filled, up to temp, and fish are in and happy. Water still has to clear up a bit more, but this morning I was able to sit and have my morning coffee enjoying the fruits of over 100 plus hours of work :)

Short video of the tank running with fish in it now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDrdkag ... e=youtu.be
75g African/hap
75g Bleekeri
75g Jaguar
20g tall angelfish
Koi pond
Steve C

Postby DutchAJ » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:02 pm

I've been following since the beginning of the thread and just wanted to say it came out great! Well done and thanks for updating along the way.
75 G- Saulosi (Taiwanee), Yellow Tail Acei (Luwala), & Rusties
DutchAJ

Previous

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas