Aquarium Setup • new to freshwater from SW, 46 Bowfront

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

new to freshwater from SW, 46 Bowfront

Postby Slammed01 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:14 pm

HELLO!

Glad to be here, after selling my SW tanks due to 2 babies I'm back!

Scored a 46 bowfront, stand and equipment from a divorce sale so I couldn't pass it up. I know 46 is limited on cichlids, not looking to go crazy.

Currently has a Penguin 350, aqueon 36" LED lights with 3 strips and 2 moonlights haven't checked out heater and other equipment. What all is needed for freshwater cichlids?

Im looking at aragonite and pool sand mixture, how much sand is recommended? Best way to cycle, is there instant cycle to add to help speed up?

Just didn't have time to mix SW and maintenance, figured save time and money and try freshwater this time :)
Slammed01

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: new to freshwater from SW, 46 Bowfront

Postby DJRansome » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Best way to cycle is without fish using ammonia. In spite of the MANY products on the market, to date it seems there is no instant cycle except getting established filter media from another fishkeeper.

I would not bother with aragonite as it does not increase pH and it's expensive. PFS is fine. I like one inch of substrate for ease of maintenance.

To help with your stocking decisions, 46G bowfront is usually 36" long.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: new to freshwater from SW, 46 Bowfront

Postby AguaManic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:48 pm

If you want something cool and neat in a 46 bowl front:

Old World: Lake Tang setup with calvus as the main fish. You can build stock around them if you like the rock look.

New World: Pretty much any dwarf cichlids in a nicely aquascaped and planted tank with a bunch of dithers and some angels.

As for cycling your tank, you can ask your lfs for some used filter media or just buy a bunch of plants and throw them in your tank to introduce bacteria to the aquarium.
AguaManic

Return to Aquarium Setup