General Aquaria Discussion • HELP!

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

HELP!

Postby _rabbit_ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:26 am

Hi, I'm new here and know very little about Cichlids. But I may have a cichlid problem.

I live in New Orleans and have a goldfish, shubunkin and koi pond in my yard. A couple of weeks ago a neighbor saw someone dump a bucket of fish into my pond (the pond is about 2 feet deep, and about 8'x6' across with a waterfall that leads to a smaller pond).

The guy confirmed with my neighbor that it was fish from his tank that had broken and he dumped them into my pond so the fish wouldn't die (asstard). He did not say what kind of fish they were. I was worried about what kind of fish as most tropical fish won't last long in an outside pond in New Orleans, but I know some hardy and potentially aggressive breeds can indeed survive. Not a problem UNLESS they decide to start making meals out of my existing fish

This morning as I fed my fish I finally saw one of the fish come up to feed. It was big, maybe ~5-6" long. Dark colored, lighter belly with light white or cream spots on it's top and sides. I only saw his head. After looking online it looks like it could be Paratilapia polleni.

I have no idea how rare this fish is so if I'm way off please remember I'm a cichlid virgin. I'm trying to get a photo or video of the fish/es but it's a quick and shy little (big) bugger

My question is, are my goldfish at risk? The smallest is about 2 inches right now. What about my plants? I have pond weed in the pond to keep it healthy but would rather a voracious eater not gobble it all up (no idea if cichlids also eat plants)

I love animals and certainly don't want to harm the newcomers but I also don't want my fish to be harmed either. On the flip side, if I can catch them, are there any Louisiana cichlid lovers that would like to give them a good home? If they are cichlids at all.

Thanks
Elly
_rabbit_

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: HELP!

Postby tanker3 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Sorry, but without pictures we can only guess on what kind of cichlids they are. Most cichlids are aggressive and will not be good "pond mates" with goldfish. They can, and probably will kill them. I would do my best to remove him.
Also you are probably correct, most cichlids will not tolerate colder waters for too long--but there are some that can.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby DJRansome » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Why not ask the owner to remove them? With the assistance of local authorities if necessary?
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby _rabbit_ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:48 pm

I certainly would do that DJRansome but the neighbor that saw the man dump them in doesn't know him or know where he lives.

I managed to get a tiny bit of video of the fish but not enough for anyone to make any sort of identification. I may try to net off part of the pond tomorrow to see if I can catch one to get a picture. I have no idea how many fish are in there and there could be several varieties. Sadly, I'm having a bit of an algae bloom at the moment which makes the water too murky to see more that a few inches down but from my count this morning it looks like my pond fish have thus far survived whatever is in there with them.
_rabbit_

Postby DJRansome » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:48 pm

You could always net everyone and then sort out the intruders.

What if they spawn?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby _rabbit_ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:03 am

Blergh...spawning! LOL thanks for that!

If it was fall I wouldn't be as concerned as the colder weather would likely kill them off but with the warm weather just starting they may survive for quite a while....aaaand possibly spawn. It's quite a healthy pond (except for the current algae bloom) with lots of underwater plants and rocky hiding spaces all of which is quite conducive to breeding.

Like I said, hoping to have time to catch one this afternoon to get a picture. It's going to be a big project though. Netting off half the pond (I've only seen the fish at one corner), removing the plants and rocks and then hoping my net is big enough to grab it.

If I catch it I guess I'll move it to the lower pond which is smaller and shallower and will make later removal easier but I have a feeling I can say goodbye to all the little mosquito fish and tadpoles that are currently in there. FML

I'm hoping, once I remove them all, I can find someone to take them on CL or maybe I can sweet talk one of the privately owned aquarium stores here to take them. If I can't get them rehomed I have no idea what I'm going to do as I do not want to get a tank for them inside nor simply kill them.
_rabbit_

Postby awanderingmoose » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:11 pm

How cold does it get there in the winter? The problem might resolve itself in 8 months.
Why in the world are we here? Surely not to live in pain and fear!
awanderingmoose

Postby judyok » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Or, on a positive note, if you can catch them and your local LFS thinks their worth having, maybe you can trade them for pond supplies :) Still that's a pretty lousy thing for someone to do.
judyok

Postby _rabbit_ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:58 am

Awanderingmoose - It gets into the 20s and 30s here. Few tropical species will survive in outdoor ponds, so yes, in 8 months the problem will likely resolve itself. Meanwhile I'm praying that the beasties in the pond will be happy with my food offerings and leave my fish alone.

Didn't have the time to try to net the beastie/s but did see it/them again yesterday evening as they dashed to the surface to grab some food. The darn thing is so big I'm almost afraid to step into the pond LOL

Judyok - I would love to find someone to take them, If they are indeed cichlids of some sort they must be worth quite a bit at that size but despite any possible worth I'd probably be willing to pay someone to give them a good home far far away from my pond.
_rabbit_

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:09 am

Any updates on this interesting story?

8x6x2' deep isn't terribly large. I'd pump out a large portion of the water so finding them would be easier.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby DJRansome » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Or just drag a net through the whole body of water.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion