South American Cichlids • Ruby Clown Cichlids/Rams

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Ruby Clown Cichlids/Rams

Postby tbromme2232 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Recently bought some Ruby Clown Cichlids which are a tier of Ram Cichlid, and they seem to be on a hunger strike. Bought them some quality food, and they don't even know it exists. I've tried Tubifex, Omega One Cichlid Food, and Tetra Flakes. They're very recent additions, but I just want them to do well in the tank. Do you think I should just give them another day or two before I try feeding? PS: They have great energy and good coloration. Input would be appreciated. :fish:
tbromme2232

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Ruby Clown Cichlids/Rams

Postby tbromme2232 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:15 pm

:-? No one's gonna help me out here? Someone has to know....
tbromme2232

Postby Bd79 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Assuming you mean the fish better known as a Bolivian ram, I'd be patient. They aren't the most aggressive eaters. In any event, fish can go a while without food, so I wouldn't worry. I'd think the food you have is fine, if it sinks. They tend to feed from the bottom of the tank.
Bd79

Postby Jeff W » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:55 pm

These fish are very shy, lots of plant cover and frequent water changes seems to help. Mine hid all the time when i was in the fish room then I would look through the glass window from outside the room and they would be out eating. It took 2 to 3 weeks before they would even do that. Try feeding live or frozen foods. Black worms, bloodworms etc.
Jeff W

Postby tbromme2232 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:18 am

Thank you both. I just need that piece of mind knowing that the fish are ok.
tbromme2232

Return to South American Cichlids