Equipment & Supplies • Aqueon Equipment for a 40B?

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderator: Kanorin

Aqueon Equipment for a 40B?

Postby cruzi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm just getting back into fish keeping, six years after finally breaking down a very misguided 10 gallon tank. I picked up a 40 breeder at a sale, and I'm slowly accumulating the equipment before I make a move across town and set everything up in my new place.

When I got the aquarium, I also got a rebate on Aqueon supplies/equipment. Since I'm not super flush with cash, I would like to be able to use these rebates, assuming they're worth it in the long run. (I have no interest in replacing filters and heaters annually.)

So far, I'm considering the Aqueon Quietflow 75 filter and Aqueon Pro 200W heater. (I'm a fan of overkill on filtration, and am thinking about adding a sponge filter to the 400 gph filter to up my biological filtration some.)

Will these be good purchases? (about $35 each, minus $10 rebate on the filter, and minus $5 rebate on the heater)
cruzi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Aqueon Equipment for a 40B?

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:07 pm

I love the Pro heaters. No experience with the filters, though. What I don't like is that they possibly require you to buy some type of replacement cartridge. I wouldn't replace them unless they were entirely falling apart. They will hold vital bacteria, once the tank is cycled. I like hang on backs that allow you shove whatever you want into them.

+1 to adding a sponge filter. Always nice to have another filter running.

Take a look in our Reviews section to research those products. And be sure to read up on the Fishless Cycling article in the Library, so you're all set to go when you decide on your stock.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby cruzi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:32 am

I'm planning on picking up some better filter media than the cartridges. I was thinking of removing all of the cartridge stuff and putting in a tight mesh, followed by a filter sock of charcoal, as well as a couple of filter socks of ceramic rings.

I'll definitely do a fishless cycle. I used fishless cycling during the second half of a study on brackish fish physiology and didn't lose a single molly to ammonia poisoning (despite putting them through some large, rapid salinity changes). This tank is pets though
cruzi

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:54 am

Cool.

Charcoal/carbon will lose its effectiveness at around the 2 week mark.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Narwhal72 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:13 am

Just throwing any media into the Aqueon filter will not work well. Cartridge filters like the Aqueon, Emperor, Whisper, etc.... have the water flowing from the back to the front and then out. If you put other media in there, the media will sink to the bottom and the water will just flow over top (not through) it. Basically negating any benefit of switching the media.

The cartridges in these filters are designed for mechanical filtration (trapping dirt and debris and removing it from the system). If maintained, (rinsed or replaced regularly) they do a great job of doing that. I wouldn't worry about the extra biological filtration. The available area for biological filtration in any HOB is a tiny fraction of the surface area within the aquarium itself. It's really pretty irrelevant.

Andy
Narwhal72

Return to Equipment & Supplies