Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Hiding Filter & Heater behind 3D background help

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: CjCichlid, notho2000

Re: Hiding Filter & Heater behind 3D background help

Postby forest109 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:02 pm

It looks like you have your setup pretty much complete, but if you are interested, I posted an article on installing a 3-D background several years ago. It's in the Cichlid-forum library at: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/i ... bg_pt1.php

I haven't updated that tank profile in a while, but it looks pretty much the same. You can find it by searching the tank list titles for "Malawi Rock Habitat".
forest109

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby CichlidJay » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:17 am

After about a year with the tank I've been very happy with the filtration. I did decide I wanted a little more "pull" from the front to get solids out of suspension quicker. So I came up with this design and it works better than I even thought it would. Not only does it create a direct pull from the tubing, but also suction has increase in all the little holes I originally drilled. I must have originally put too many, dispersing the suction over too large of an area to create good suction. Now the biggest hole is covered creating more. What I did was remove the original intake tube from the fx6 and replaced it with 3/4" pvc with a tee. Then inserted 5/8" ID tubing into the tee and then into the strainer originally drilled into the background. The tubing fits snug in both sides. I did have a slight issue putting the strainer on the 3/4" pvc. It was slightly too big, but I easily fixed that with a table saw. I set the fence the depth of the strainer and blade height at about 1/16"-1/8" and and slid and rolled the pvc perpendicular to the blade using the fence as a stop until the diameter was perfectly round and fit into the strainer. (Hard to explain but was really easy, didn't take pictures) First pic was the test before putting it back behind the background. 2nd pic was the best I could take with it installed. Lol

CichlidJay

Postby CichlidJay » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:32 am

I don't know if you can see the detail in this video but the strainer is now puller in a lot more water!
CichlidJay

Postby CichlidJay » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:39 am

And here's some of my fish.
CichlidJay

Postby CharlesMTF » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:54 pm

CJ, can you tell me what the name of this background is? It looks like its fairly low-profile, compared to some of the other backgrounds I've seen... which is what I am looking for.
CharlesMTF

Postby Eric_S » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:39 pm

Charles, it's the Universal Rocks "Crevice" background. I have 2 of them, one for my 125g and one for a 40g breeder tank. They are very low profile which is why I chose them for these particular tanks.
210g Malawi - deep water haps, demasoni, maingano, yellow labs, acei, syno. multipunctatus
125g Tang - gold head kasanga comps, cyp mpulungus, enantiopus melanogenys utinta
40g - peacock/hap growout
20g - multies
Eric_S

Previous

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)