Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Adding Rocks to Glass Bottom Tank

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: CjCichlid, notho2000

Re: Adding Rocks to Glass Bottom Tank

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:35 am

Those stories must be impact related. Like a tower of rock tumbled in the tank. Or a poor reseal job.

This is a video showing a 10 gallon tank being filled with rocks-

Iggy Newcastle

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby JRW81 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:36 am

Yeah I agree most are probably impact related. I guess I would just rather be safe than have a problem that I could have easily prevented. I tried to find something about using the pvc pipe because that would explain it better than I can. Apparently it's used more in reef tanks but I like doing it that way and just figured someone else might like that option also
JRW81

Postby DJRansome » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:07 pm

But a base is not going to help you unless it falls on it's bottom...does not really solve an impact problem.

And what the engineers are saying is that "spreading the weight" is not necessary.

So I'm trying to understand what problem it solves? And why doesn't the substrate/water trapped inside the PVC, in spite of the circulation holes, become a nitrate trap?
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby nodima » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:01 pm

JRW81 wrote:Cut it across. Cut off like an inch or so from the pipe so it would be a circle. I just like it better than having the rock directly on the glass. Have heard a lot of stories about tank bottoms cracking from rocks.

Not trying to be a pain or worse, but I'd love to read or otherwise hear about a first hand account of such an incident. Seems like it is always the vague post like this one, or the "a friend of a friend told me..." I've been in the hobby for 30+ plus years, and have not heard a reliable source of such a mishap. I've experienced trim breaking, seals letting go, and other issues and have stacked my tanks full or rocks for most of that time, including through an earthquake when I was in Nevada.

The problem I have with statements like the above as hearsay is that it now is recorded for all internet time, and as people search for answer to placing rocks in the future it will be seen and taken as a fact, when in reality it is not a fact. I read it on the internet, it must be true. :D
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby JRW81 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:24 pm

I can not remember not having at least one tank around growing up and have been keeping tanks myself for at least 25 years. About 15 years ago I set up an older tank that I had stored and put heavy rocks directly on the bottom glass as I've done many times before. Around a year of it being set up the bottom cracked directly under a big rock. I don't know if it was because of the rock or just from being an older tank that might have already been damaged. That's why I said I would rather be safe than sorry. I noticed other people saying the same when I was reading reviews on a tank for petsmart
JRW81

Previous

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)