Illness, Health & Nutrition • White Stuff On Body

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

White Stuff On Body

Postby PitBully » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:12 am

This is a new fish that I purchased last week. It came in good condition as you can see in this first picture.

However now it has some white stuff on it's body. I'm not sure if its battle wounds or a disease?

Water parameters are ok.

Below are the after pictures

PitBully

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Robin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:13 am

Is the fish still eating and swimming normally? What other fish are in the tank? (Is that an auratus tail I see in picture#1???) What size tank?

Some minor aggression/chasing is okay in a cichlid tank but if you've got Auratus then you can pretty much count on the aggression getting out of hand. The new fish's fins look dinged up.
You want to keep a close eye on the white areas on this fish. If you notice white fuzzy growth anywhere on the fish or if the white areas open up into wounds then you'll need to remove the fish asap. And if he's hiding, hanging at the top and/or not eating then you should likewise remove him asap.

Robin

great dog face :)
Robin

Postby PitBully » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:51 am

Thanks for the advice. Their seems to be some aggression in the tank, however not from the auratus since that one is only about 2" and all my other fish are double her size. The aggression is not bad at all, just a little.

What could that white stuff be?? How can I go about treating it? Today I noticed another fish with some white on him as well. After closer inspection, it appears some of the white is fuzzy, like cotton.

I've done a 40% water change and added aquarium salt.

The tank size is 90 gallons.
PitBully

Postby PitBully » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:58 pm

bump
PitBully

Postby stephenxanders » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:38 pm

You can also ask some good advice to the store where you bought it. I'm sure they can give you reliable suggestions :-)
stephenxanders

Postby PfunMo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:03 am

I would get this guy into quarantine if at all possible ASAP. Pictures are hard to use but in the first pic there appears to be four spots of ich in a very early stage. You might want to confirm if they are in fact what I think I see. One above the eye, one on the lip one on the fin and one on the dorsal near the rear. Peacocks have spots but these appear to be suspect to me. Be aware ich will move and rearrange day to day, sometimes almost hourly. If not treated it will get much worse, sometimes very quickly. End result can be death for much of the tank. The ich will open wounds and secondary infections follow. Ich does not always go away with treatment so that can't be used as a diagnostic. Some are more resistant to the meds than others. Whatever you do, do it quick. You have a ticking time bomb in your tank.
Side point-- I no longer keep auratus as they have caused me too much grief.
PfunMo

Postby PitBully » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I purchased Triple Sulfa yesterday and today he is much better! A tip from the LFS person, to rub the sulfa directly on his body, and pour the rest in the tank. Amazingly it worked fast!
PitBully

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition